Johannes VermeerShop now
Johannes Vermeer was a Dutch painter who specialized in domestic interior scenes of middle-class life. He was a moderately successful provincial genre painter in his lifetime but evidently was not wealthy, leaving his wife and children in debt at his death, perhaps because he produced relatively few paintings.
Vermeer worked slowly and with great care, and frequently used very expensive pigments. He is particularly renowned for his masterly treatment and use of light in his work. Vermeer painted mostly domestic interior scenes. "Almost all his paintings are apparently set in two smallish rooms in his house in Delft; they show the same furniture and decorations in various arrangements and they often portray the same people, mostly women.
He was recognized during his lifetime in Delft and The Hague, but his modest celebrity gave way to obscurity after his death. He was barely mentioned in Arnold Houbraken's major source book on 17th-century Dutch painting (Grand Theatre of Dutch Painters and Women Artists), and was thus omitted from subsequent surveys of Dutch art for nearly two centuries. In the 19th century, Vermeer was rediscovered by Gustav Friedrich Waagen and Théophile Thoré-Bürger, who published an essay attributing 66 pictures to him, although only 34 paintings are universally attributed to him today. Since that time, Vermeer's reputation has grown, and he is now acknowledged as one of the greatest painters of the Dutch Golden Age.
Relatively little was known about Vermeer's life until recently. He seems to have been devoted exclusively to his art, living out his life in the city of Delft. Until the 19th century, the only sources of information were some registers, a few official documents, and comments by other artists; for this reason, Thoré-Bürger named him "The Sphinx of Delft". John Michael Montias added details on the family from the city archives of Delft in his Artists and Artisans in Delft: A Socio-Economic Study of the Seventeenth Century (1982).
Order a reproduction on canvas of ceramic tile tableau by Johannes Vermeer
Items 1-15 of 45
- The MilkmaidCeramic tile tableausJohannes VermeerFrom€165.00
- Woman Reading a LetterCeramic tile tableausJohannes VermeerFrom€165.00
- The Love LetterCeramic tile tableausJohannes VermeerFrom€577.50
- The Little StreetCeramic tile tableausJohannes VermeerFrom€165.00
- View of DelftCeramic tile tableausJohannes VermeerFrom€165.00
- The ProcuressCanvasJohannes VermeerFrom€104.50
- Diana and her NymphsCanvasJohannes VermeerFrom€126.00
- The Little Street on 20 tilesJohannes VermeerFromSpecial Price €316.00 Regular Price €395.00
- Girl with a Pearl EarringCeramic tile tableausJohannes VermeerFrom€150.00
- Girl with a Pearl Earring on 30 tilesJohannes VermeerFromSpecial Price €330.00 Regular Price €412.50
- Woman Reading a LetterCanvasJohannes VermeerFromSpecial Price €150.00 Regular Price €187.50
- Girl with a Pearl Earring on 20 tilesJohannes VermeerFromSpecial Price €316.00 Regular Price €395.00
- The Little StreetCanvasJohannes VermeerFromSpecial Price €155.00 Regular Price €193.75
- The MilkmaidCanvasJohannes VermeerFromSpecial Price €150.00 Regular Price €187.50
- The Milkmaid on 30 tilesJohannes VermeerFromSpecial Price €330.00 Regular Price €412.50
Items 1-15 of 45