Rembrandt van RijnShop now
Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669) was born in Leiden, the son of a miller. After finishing Latin School, his parents enrolled him at Leiden University.
Rembrandt soon dropped out and became an apprentice painter under Jacob van Swanenburch and later Pieter Lastman. He first set up as an independent artist in Leiden. At this time, Rembrandt mainly painted biblical scenes in a precise style and with vibrant colours.
In 1631, he moved to Amsterdam where he received numerous commissions for portraits. His many pupils included Ferdinand Bol, Govert Flinck and Carel Fabritius.
In this period, Rembrandt developed a more powerful chiaroscuro, a looser brush and a greater sense of drama. He focused more on historical scenes, and made numerous etchings and drawings. In 1634, Rembrandt married Saskia Uylenburgh. They had a son, Titus, in 1641. Then a year later Saskia died. Later, in 1654, Rembrandt had a daughter with Hendrickje Stoffels.
By now, he had accumulated huge debts and was forced to sell his house and property. He died in 1669 and was buried in Amsterdam's Westerkerk.
Order a reproduction on canvas of ceramic tile tableau by Rembrandt van Rijn
Rembrandt van Rijn
- The Night WatchCeramic tile tableausRembrandt van RijnFrom€165.00
- Landscape with a Stone BridgeCeramic tile tableausRembrandt van RijnFrom€481.25
- Anatomy Lesson of Dr. N. TulpCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€39.50
- Selfportrait Rembrandt van RijnCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€39.50
- Saul and DavidCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€88.00
- The Night WatchCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€39.50
- The Jewish BrideCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€39.50
- Self-portrait Rembrandt van RijnCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€39.50
- The SyndicsCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€54.50
- Landscape with a Stone BridgeCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€93.50
- Portrait of a WomanCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€39.50
- Self-portrait as the Apostle PaulCanvasRembrandt van RijnFrom€39.50